14 August 2006

Saturday night




Left: the world famous Mariachis play music about tequila, girls, gun fights etc.


Well it's Saturday night, and time to catch some serious Mariachi action. These guys play traditional folk music, and it's very catchy. These two weeks are Holy week and Easter week. Everyone's on holidays, except for our poor teachers at school, and there's a Mariachi show every night of the week. I've arranged to meet up with Eli, one of the students.

The epic bus journey home from Tlajomulco (I can never remember that name!) sends me to sleep. I ask Abraham the time, just in passing, and he says it's 7pm. I say, you're joking?? And he says No! I'd planned on taking a shower, and eating, but I'm yelling for the nearest taxi, and chasing him down the street. Getting there at 7:25, I'm 25 minutes late, and Eli's gone.

I sit there and have a couple of beers, waiting to see if she comes back. In the meantime, some local girl sits down. Turns out she's a friend of Eli's. Her name is Xochitl, a Nahuatl name meaning "flower", or Xochy (pronounce Sochy) for short. Abraham and Tere take it in turns to rib me about my new Mexican girlfriend. There's no point in explaining that nothing's going on.

No comments: