05 August 2006

Day 2



Left: typical historic st.

Right: my new home for 3 weeks

It's been raining for a month in SF, so a clear sky in Tlaquepaque (Guadalajara), along with breakfast in the courtyard, is proof to me I'm really here. The streets in this historical area are cobblestone. The footpath is so narrow, so you have to step onto the street and mix it with the cars, when there's other pedestrians. All the homes are so close to the road that it has a real old Spanish feel to it.
I'm still in mex-panic mode, so I busily scan all people for pickpockets and crims. I'm staying with a Mexican family for 3 weeks, so I'm headed there to check it out. Marie calls up, and I tell her where I am, and strangely enough she can see exactly the street I'm on, on Mapquest (calle Chamizal, between Revolucion, San Rafael, and Rio Nilo). The appartment is at the rear of a tough looking complex (pictured here). But my hostess is lovely, and it turns out everyone is friendly (yelling hello!!), plus it's kept spotless.

No comments: