15 September 2011

The language



<-- Old Antibes near where we were living during September-->


When you come to France, you will have 62,000,000 people who really want to help with the language. Everyone from the shopkeeper to your coworkers will spend time explaining and giving tips. They tell me I'm doing well, but I am not sure about that.

Yesterday, Patrick invited me to hear his presentation on his work trip to South Africa. I waited until 6pm, and then asked where's Patrick. He'd gone already! I asked if the time had changed, but it was always on at 4pm. Philippe thinks he must have said "sez", which is 16, or 4pm, and I got it wrong. Six sounds like "sees" and 16 is like "sez". Oh well.

As per usual, I run for the golden #9 bus. Philippe stops in the traffic right near the bus stop. I pretend to thumb a ride, telling him it's not far to Antibes, and only a small side trip (20k in heavy traffic). He says "side kick?" then has to drive off. I'll be glad when I can speak some more French.

<-- the backyard in Antibes, Juan les Pins. Our little unit is on the left on the ground floor. We moved out at the end of September. No-one told us we had to clean up the unit, so 41 euro later, we gave them a job.



They are very happy if you can say a couple of words, so here they are:

French lesson for today:
le parking - parking spot
le weekend - the weekend
le t-shirt - the t-shirt
le GPS - the GPS
organise - organise
shopping - shopping.
on street signs "stop" means stop.
but!
demande - ask
correcte- something like honest

No comments: