11 September 2011

Juan les Pins - Antibes

<-- the street outside our current home in Juan les Pins. Our building is just left of where I'm standing to take the shot. It's a little bunker with some sloping grass out the back. The boys love to kick a ball, and run around with the other kids here. Dan, 2, and his 2 week old brother Aaron were here for a week, getting eaten by Mozzies and having fun. Crazy Paul, 6, speaks German and French, and is on his way to getting English from Ollie and Louis.

We're finally getting to know our way around here. We stumbled onto the old part of town yesterday, lovely. Went furniture shopping. Our budget allows for serious chipboard action, so we're checking the 2nd hand website. The stuff there is a fraction of the price, and so beautiful you'd just cry to look at it. We might be getting a container to bring it home to Oz!

We ran for the bus. I got to the closed door as the lights went green. He practically ran me over, and the next one was an agonising 35mins later. Marie says we're getting a car for sure (it would be a ten min drive max to the ugly furniture shop).

We had a hire car, but after 2 weeks, we didn't really need it. I came home early, had a tea with Marie at about 6.30pm, pulled the kids seats out, cleaned out the odd stuff, got on the road about 8pm. Tried to fill up at a petrol station. There is no attendant, and the pump won't take my credit card. Get to the 2nd one after going the wrong way up a one way section. Same credit card problem. Speak to the lady, and work out I have only 20 euro, and start counting my change, which is 8.50, so I can prepay the 28.50. She says "Quelle caburant" twice, then a bit louder, while people wait behind. The penny drops, it means what fuel (like carburettor I suppose), so I say diesel, and I'm ready to drive around to some pump, and try it out. Finally, I head for the A8 at about 8.30, wondering about public transport home, and realise that since I've spent every cent, I now can't get on the freeway. I drive home feeling completely defeated.


<-- president Wilson street. It's the one street name that's easy to remember. It's the main connector to the local shops, and square, and has the bus to work running down it.


We've got 2 or 3 beaches, the town square, the old part of Antibes, and a little fun-land with dodgems all within walking distance of home. It's like the Gold Coast, but a bit more compact, and everyone looks good.


<-- the ladies of Antibes tonk along down the middle of the street, and don't care what the cars think. She's just gone down possibly the busiest street in the middle of Antibes. Hats off to you matron of the 2 wheelers.

Avenue de Nice is one of the main connectors, but only 2 lanes for most. There's a cycle track on the side. Many of the riders are dressed very nicely. -->

No comments: