11 July 2013

Tour de France

Italians trying to run me over at speed.
Lying on the grass next to the race. As close as it gets.
We had two, yes two, stages of the Tour de France for their very special 100th running. I simply had to get out of work early to see the time trial stage of Nice. We headed to near the airport averaging about 29km/h, which is faster than normal for me. Turns out the pros, who have to keep it up for 25km around a circuit, are averaging 58km/h. So on the Promenade des Anglais, where we are, they are surely punching in around 60 to 70 clicks. We did the old, get on the road, wait for all the honking to clear a little bit of space for the riders to get through. It's very French. On the return trip, the road is only one lane, so I could lay on the grass and snap them going by very closely. What a top afternoon.




Our main st, the Bord du Mer, and Ollie flying along after.
The world's most famous team bus safely parked. 
On the course, and being cheered on by the crowd.
The following day, they set of from Cagnes sur Mer, my home town!! I got separated from Marie, refused to be allowed to cross the street by the police, and ended up cycling 4km around the horse track to get back to a furious Marie and 2 crying kids. I wish I had have thought to go the other way which would have been only a few hundred metres. I had to keep going, then a bit further etc, as I had no idea where the barriers were. This day was a pretty sh88house experience. At least we all got to ride right down the main street after it all. That is the best fun of all.

No comments: