24 May 2012

School hols in Cassis

Ye Olde Fishing Porte de Cassis
For the school holidays, Marie, the boys, her buddy Simone, and her 2 kids went to Cassis. Simone's husband, Peter, and me were going to meet them for the weekend there. I assumed we'd take the train, since it's 200km, but luckily, my compatriot friend is crazy, so he suggested we ride it.

 Finding a way was my job. The choices are direct over the mountains, the scenic route further in the Alps with more mountains, or the long way wiggling along the coast. I was worried about any bad climbs or the famous winds, eating enough, drinking enough (I didn't), or mechanical trouble in the middle of nowhere.

 We went the direct way and it all went fine. We only got lost a couple of times. The scenery was great. All the villages were the same but different. When we arrived, the kids wanted to play chasings in the garden. I walked menacingly.

Cliffs overlooking the village
The village is an old little fishing port, which is now touristy as anything. Most of tourists are locals though. We went on an hour long boat trip to see the tall white cliffs nearby, and the Calanques (creeks I think).

 Me and Marie got to go to dinner solo, and the other 2 did too.


The chicken bus to Marseilles was spectacular.






It rained all day in Marseilles until the arvo. We got Ollie some gumboots so he could splash in the puddles with the rest of them.

Paparazzi snaps the next Top Models just
outside the gate of a very glamorous spot

No comments: